ZATO has been around since 2011 (with a rebrand somewhere in there), and one of the most consistent things we have seen is that starting PPC business budgets have remained the same, while costs have risen (both platform costs and agency costs) making it more difficult for small budgets to get great PPC management. Oftentimes, what this has looked like is management from a company in which dozens of accounts are sold by an expert (PPCer or salesperson), and then handed off to be managed by an intern who…. let’s say made all their mistakes during this part of their office journey.
As we grew, we determined that the investment we needed to put into an account, any account, required a certain amount of time and energy and thus required our minimum pricing to be higher than many small businesses could afford. We found ourselves among a large group of agencies and consultants, since those who were willing to do the work required at the time in PPC, were also the ones who were (unsurpisingly) the most expensive.
A difficult 5-year long reality for Small Business PPC from 2014-2019.
What has changed?
The reality of PPC, is that machines are getting smarter. While some consider this to be a concern, or even threat to their jobs and businesses, we at ZATO see this as an opportunity. With advances in machine learning so ad testing, bidding, and overall recommendations and automation is improving we are able to offer services at lower rates than previously because we are able to rely more on automation… and pass along that savings to the consumer (you!).
Your New SMB PPC Program Awaits
Because of these advancements, we’re happy to officially announce what we’ve been testing for awhile now, our new Google Ads for Small Budgets program. With this program, we have looked at every possible angle to reduce our agency overhead so we can still invest top-tier PPC work into your accounts, but at a rate that the smaller businesses of the world can actually afford! How have we done this? It’s not magic, it’s math. We investigated every area of typical agency overhead cost, and made them more efficient with automated processes (sound difficult? It was!).
A few of those many ways are:
- Contract Building
- Internal Task Management
- Account Building
- Ongoing Management
- Ad Testing
- …& More!
The two core ways we are being more efficient to make rates more affordable are the following:
- Ongoing Account Management
What do you mean by “Use Automation”?
In this program, we utilize software such as Opmtyzr (for management) and Swydo (for reporting) to identify key opportunities for us to make the most important changes in an account. We believe this successfully marries the two crucial aspects to managing PPC in 2020 & beyond: smart human-led, machine automation. Automation for those easily repeatable areas of an account, but always with human oversight and accountability to ensure the account is always heading in the right direction.
What does Communication in the Small Budgets Program look like?
We have discovered that the most important communication to occur in a new PPC client relationship is at the very beginning, as trust is becoming built. This is why we include all Email support requests in our setup fee at no additional charge during the first month (this is included in the setup fee). Need support after the first Month? No problem! We are always happy to help, and charge a fee of $25 per 15 minutes for Email Support. Phone support is $35 per 15 minutes at any time during the engagement.
- Month 1: Free Email Support (included in 1-Time Setup Fee Paid at beginning of engagement)
- Month 2 & Beyond:
- $25 per 15 minutes for Email Support.
- $35 per 15 minutes for Phone support.
What Can We Expect In Terms of Reporting & Key Takeaways?
We send an automated monthly report 8 days into the month that includes account KPIs and graphs (in accordance with your account goals and how you measure success). Unlike the Full Service option however, this does not include key takeaways or custom updates. The core idea for this Program is that it is a lower cost option for clients who don’t mind not knowing all the inner workings of the account and just want to affordably hire the experts to manage it, while getting updated on KPIs so they can still be fully aware of program performance. We only communicate the specifics of what we’ve done in any account if a client is curious and emails us requesting that information. Clients who may be interested in our activity can also proactively check in on the Change History.
Who Is the Google Ads for Small Budgets Program For?
We purposefully did not name this the “Small Business” program, but the Small Budget program. We understand there are a variety of reasons why an account may be a smaller budget size…regardless of the size of the business itself! Because of that, any projects, local businesses, or national ecommerce brands who aren’t yet able to scale up to larger PPC budgets will find value in this program. It truly is a great program for any business that wants to invest a lower amount into Google Ads before scaling up, or even the business that just wants to have a solid PPC agency on their accounts…even if you have no future plans to scale dramatically. It’s Google Ads for the Smaller Budget!
Do You Also Help Us with Google Analytics, or Bing Ads, or Other Account Questions in this Program?
In order for us to keep this program as affordable as possible, it is for Google Ads only. We need to keep our internal processes as streamlined as possible for both task management, switching costs, and communication variables. This means we focus solely on your Google Ads account. The one exception to this is Google Merchant Center for Ecommerce shops. Because Google Merchant Center is required for Google Shopping Ads, ZATO will assist in getting things set up in GMC in Ecommerce Accounts, for an additional one-time setup fee.
Do I Own the Account & Data?
With the ZATO Small Budgets Program, we believe that account ownership is 100% your right. You as the advertiser are paying for the valuable data that you are receiving, as well as our work to get the account setup (that’s why Month 1 charged covers our setup costs and we begin management on Month 2 of the engagement), and that means we believe you own the Google Ads Account and Data, period.
“WHAT, doesn’t that mean you can cut ZATO’s access at any time and leave?!”
Yes, but that’s why we believe we can keep your business because of our great account work… not because we’re holding your account hostage over your head. We prefer to do business with people because, you know, it’s mutually beneficial. Not because we’re holding you hostage.
Does ZATO Do Whitelabeling on the SMB Program?
- fails to adhere to our stringent communication requirements, even if agreed to in the beginning. That is, because of stress from the client on the Parent Agency, we are pressured to get urgent communication too often and that kills our ability to offer the program profitably.
- typically feels more strongly about the specific way we should manage and organize the account. Another way the program actually stays very affordable (our Full Service rates are much higher than the Small Budget rates).
Do I Need to Set Up Conversion Tracking?
Conversions are important to account success as they user engagement on your website, rather than just traffic or ad impression data. We strongly recommend that you take your top goal actions for your website, and add tracking code (using Google Ads conversion tracking or Google Analytics goal/event tracking) as this is how we make optimization decisions in Google Ads to make your account successful.
We are happy to assist with conversion suggestions on which actions to track (things like pdf downloads, contact form submissions, or phone calls), but please note that ZATO does not have the ability to add conversions to your website.
What Happens After I Get Started?
Here’s a look at the typical steps that a Small Budgets Program applicant will go through:
- You reach out to us on the SMB Landing Page for an Account Analysis and send us your 10 Digit CID (Google Ads, if you have it).
- We verify fit, and send an Account Analysis back where we identify opportunities and give insight into how we’ll run your account.
- You dig the Account Analysis, and let us know you want to move forward by signing up for one of the Payment Plans.
- We process your payment and send you our Next Steps email.
- You fill out the detailed on-boarding form that gives us the important information we need to get started on your account.
- We begin our work of research and account building in the next 2-4 weeks. Remember that month 1 is the Account Build where we first take things over and learn your account before fully managing it. You may not hear from us much during this time-frame. Feel free to check in, but know that we are working hard on getting things up for us to begin managing the account by month 2 of our engagement.
- We discuss the account and setup process through email addressing any questions about the setup that we or you may have. We want to make sure we get it right, since we’re taking your account and making it the best we can!
- We push new and/or revised campaigns live and begin our management and reporting process as of month 2. Keep in mind, you can still ask questions through email for free during this month before Support transitions to an additional fee in Month 3 and beyond.
That should answer a lot of your questions, and give some insight into what this new program is all about. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out to us through our contact form: Contact ZATO Here
Intrigued by this new offering? We’d love to tell you more! Check it out, and then let us know if you have any questions, or submit the form and get rolling!
Visit the Google Ads for Small Budgets Program